Francesco Martani (1931-2016). Born in Mantua, he spent his childhood in San Benedetto Po, breathing the soul and moods of the indomitable Po Valley people. Already as a boy he copied the classics and painted landscapes and figures of the rural world.
After high school in Mantua at Professor Tegon’s drawing school, he graduated in medicine and surgery at the University of Bologna. For scientific and artistic reasons, he made long stays in Geneva, Paris and the United States. Painting alternates with periods entirely dedicated to sculpture, which he creates in the art foundries and bronze workshops of Pietrasanta for over 30 years.
After various expressive experiences, in his full maturity, he spontaneously adhered to the suggestions of the international informal and then returned to a symbolic-figural vision of the profound changes in the psychology of contemporary man and the world around him. He has exhibited in numerous collective and personal exhibitions in Europe and the United States. Presented in 1986 at the Venice Biennale, in the Italian pavilion, Art and Science section, by the late Professor Giorgio Celli. In 1987 he exhibited at the Palazzo Esposizione Permanente in Milan. A tireless man, with a great activity as a cultural animator, he founded the Museum Center of Modern and Contemporary Art and the Garden of European Culture, through the Cà la Ghironda Foundation in Ponteronca di Zola Predosa. An original and futuristic model of perception between art and nature.
In addition to being an artist, writer, enthusiast and promoter of art, Francesco Martani was a close friend of the Zanini family. He has collaborated in numerous institutional exhibitions at the Monastic Refectory of San Benedetto and the Ca’ la Ghironda Foundation and has been the protagonist of literary cafés and exhibitions in the spaces of the Zanini Arte Gallery.